[Cin] Complete system hangs (likely out of memory)

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Sun Jan 22 13:26:20 CET 2023

Hi,

When editing with Cinelerra (current git) I experience frequently that my
entire system hangs after scratching through either the timeline or the
viewer. As experienced before I have noticed that Cinerella eats a lot of
memory.

The total amount of assets I have currently in my project is about 70GB, my
system memory is 16GB, and yesterday I have added 8GB of swap (normally no
swap).

It seems that with every video that I preview my memory usage significantly
increases, but is never released. I think we have discussed this behavior
on the mailinglist before being that the indices never get released. But
still the amount does not make sense to me.

As user my expectation would be that when I would close the *viewer*, the
memory would get released, especially when the content is not placed on the
timeline.

Are there any statistics available on the memory usage what goes where?

Practical question: is it possible to have a different path for the
emergency backups than /tmp?

--
Stefan