[Cin] Complete system hangs (likely out of memory)

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Sun Jan 22 20:58:47 CET 2023

On Sunday, January 22, 2023 8:18:48 PM CET, Phyllis Smith wrote:
> Just a little feedback too.
> 1) "does closing the *viewer*, release the memory" -- I could
> be wrong, but I do not think closing the viewer releases the
> memory because it thinks you may want to use it again?

That would be a futile attempt, if cache will grow beyond main memory.

> 2) "backups on /tmp"? -- I am not sure how you are getting
> backups to go to /tmp.  As far as I know they always go to
> $HOME/.bcast5.  If you see files like:

I think I remember the non-gg cinelerra then. There are indeed no files in
/tmp.

> 3) I have found that adding swap is a complete waste of time -
> it never works for me and just hangs (and that has been true for
> me since the 1980's!)

It was worth the try, but I would agree with you. I never have it on any
production system either.

> 4) in Valgrind, I always look at these lines at the end of the file:
>     ==128034== LEAK SUMMARY:
>     ==128034==    definitely lost: 5,086 bytes in 40 blocks
>     ==128034==    indirectly lost: 15,535,063 bytes in 1,143 blocks
>     ==128034==      possibly lost: 350,864 bytes in 10 blocks
> The "definitely lost" line is reasonable BUT "indirectly lost"
> seems astronomical.

This were only a few small 3gp phone clips. I am happy to investigate
further, but there is likely a serious bug that everyone must be hitting at
some point. Or people just don't produce as much content as I do for one
session ;)

--
Stefan