[Cin] Complete system hangs (likely out of memory)

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 01:25:08 CET 2023

Some testing results below.

> Just a little feedback too.
> > 1) "does closing the *viewer*, release the memory" -- I could
> > be wrong, but I do not think closing the viewer releases the
> > memory because it thinks you may want to use it again?
>
> That would be a futile attempt, if cache will grow beyond main memory.

You are right - it does appear that closing the viewer does release the
memory.

> This were only a few small 3gp phone clips. I am happy to investigate
> further, but there is likely a serious bug that everyone must be hitting
> at
> some point. Or people just don't produce as much content as I do for one
> session ;)

It does look like a very serious bug, but I do not think it is opening new
viewers.  I ran valgrind, loaded 2 smaller mp4 files into the Resources
window, opened new viewer for the first one and played it by itself in the
viewer, then opened another new viewer for the second mp4 file and then
played that, and finally just Quit.  Results were:
==180139== LEAK SUMMARY:
==180139==    definitely lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==180139==    indirectly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==180139==      possibly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks

I have more tests to do yet.