[Cin] DVD compliant MPEG-2 Video and PCM Audio

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 21:30:52 CET 2023

пн, 6 мар. 2023 г., 23:00 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com>:

> пн, 6 мар. 2023 г., 22:51 Terje J. Hanssen <terjejhanssen at gmail.com>:
>

>> Den 06.03.2023 15:02, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu:
>>
>> I think you need another software like (q)dvdauthor or dvdstyler to make
>> DVD - they use *program* streams, not transport streams as tsMuxer creates
>>

>> I thought first to use mkisofs, but didnt really find out the relevant
>> syntax to make a video dvd iso from the ffmpeg created dv28.mpg file with
>> pcm audio.
>>
>> Had a quick look in DVD styler, but for audio it seemed to support only
>> AC3 or MP2 audio.
>>

> I think because project still active you can look at their support place
> and see if anyone made request for this already, or if not - log your own.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/dvdstyler/discussion/318795/thread/00ecc86f13/
>

> =====
> If you use Mplex for muxing then Mplex will abort with a message that it
> cannot recognize the audio stream. This is an Mplex issue. It is no problem
> for Mplex to mux an LPCM audio stream, but the file must have the extension
> "lpcm". You can verify this by renaming the audio file in the DVDStyler
> cache folder and give it the "lpcm" extension. Then feed the video and this
> renamed audio stream to Mplex for muxing, and you will get a perfect MPEG2
> file with PCM audio.
>
> ====

Also from mjpegtools mail list archive:

https://www.mail-archive.com/mjpeg-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg06753.html

https://www.mail-archive.com/mjpeg-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg06759.html

apparently you must use one big mpeg file in this case

=====

bn
<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=mjpeg-users@lists.sourceforge.net&q=from:%22bn%22>
Fri,
05 May 2006 20:02:05 -0700
<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=mjpeg-users@lists.sourceforge.net&q=date:20060505>
Well folks(?),

No responses but I appear to have made some headway, which I'll share here
in case someone's out there somewhere scratching their own head over this.

The problem seems to have to do with dvdauthor's STC discontinuity at the
chapter points when it's fed one file per chapter; the initial pts/dts
values are reset, and this somehow throws things off during playback, even
if audio and video endpoints are perfectly aligned.

If the whole titleset is mplexed as one mpg and then dvdauthored with
chapter- point offsets, the gaps disappear.  Also, if the chapter points
aren't aligned to GOP boundaries, dvdauthor will do it anyway and shift
them backwards.

Bahman

=====

I hope this workflow is not bitrotted. According to man page from
https://linux.die.net/man/1/mplex mplex accept lpcm params:

===

*L|--lpcm-params* *samples_per_sec:channels:bits_per_sample*
[, *samples_per_sec:channels:bits_per_sample* ...]

A comma-seperated list of paramter sets for the lpcm audio streams (given
in the order the lpcm streams appear on the command line). Each parameter
set comprises the sampling rate in Hz, the number of channels, and the
number of bits per sample seperated by colons. For example, the default
48kHz two-channel 16-bit audio would be specified as 48000:2:16.
Note: these parameters are necessary because mplex expects raw LPCM audio
data without any headers. That is: for each sample point a group of 16,20,
or 24 bit amplitude values, one for each channel. Amplitude values are
signed with the constituent bytes in big-endian (most significant bytes
first) order. For 20 bit samples I am not sure but what documentation I
have suggests such samples are padded at the lsb end so that they
byte-align at the most significant bits.

====

https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=mjpeg-users%40lists.sourceforge.net&q=lpcm

some more reading from 2005-6 era.