[Cin] Cinepaint-0.25 oyranos

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Mon May 29 05:08:47 CEST 2023

https://github.com/archont00/cinepaint-oyranos

I was reading oyranos website and especially archive.org version of
this site, and found out this specific tool was used back in 2011 for
showcasing image  editing on wide-gamut monitors. There apparently is
draft X color management spec, implemented by basically CompICC as
server side and icc-examin / sample image viewer /cinepaint  as
clients.

There even was Suse-based live cd from 2011, but it obviously will not
fly (with hw 3d accel) on more modern GPUs ..:(

http://www.oyranos.org/compicc/index.html
http://www.oyranos.org/libxcm/index.html

"The X Color Management specification allows to attach colour regions
to X windows to communicate with colour servers."

So, it was/is region-based, not per-window (makes sense due to
in-window controls, for example)

https://web.archive.org/web/20111116054348/http://www.oyranos.org/page/2/

"

CinePaint full screen

Posted on September 8, 2011

On my git repository with CinePaint patches is the full screen mode
changed. It uses the GTK funtionality. That mode is now window manager
based and will not work with twm. The old code is still ifdefed for
users who rely on that and compile it. Putting a full fledged solution
like in gqview inside CinePaint would have been too much work.

New is as well resizing of frames in the flip book, to allow me to
load a bunch of cameraRAW images and watch them much like in a slide
show. Colour regions are updated for the colour server.

And last but not least a fix in now available, to let CinePaint run on
non KWin and non Compiz window managers. I tested on twm.

The package is patched in OBS.

Posted in cinepaint, imaging | Tagged colour management, ICC "

=====

Because I do not have wide-gamut monitor user-testing of this rare
combination still required, even for just watching it in action.
Anyone brave enough for compiling from git? :) I have it compiled on
Slackware 15.0 i586, so it ought to be compileable on ~modern Linux.