[Cin] DV to DVD rendering - questions and issues

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Wed May 31 16:40:04 CEST 2023

ср, 31 мая 2023 г., 00:41 Terje J. Hanssen <terjejhanssen at gmail.com>:

> Den 30.05.2023 15:19, skrev Terje J. Hanssen:
>
> Interlaced and/or Deinterlaced continued:
> - I'll add a good reference and some old background threads:
>
> What is deinterlacing? The best method to deinterlace movies
> http://www.100fps.com/
>
> [CinCV TNG] Deinterlacing or not?
> https://lists.cinelerra-cv.org/pipermail/cinelerra/2016q2/004926.html
>
> [CinCVS] Interlacing, DVD
> https://www.mail-archive.com/cinelerra@skolelinux.no/msg06692.html
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=interlace&l=cinelerra%40skolelinux.no
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=deinterlace&l=cinelerra%40skolelinux.no
>

> Den 30.05.2023 03:34, skrev Terje J. Hanssen:
>

> Den 29.05.2023 22:47, skrev Phyllis Smith:
>
> More feedback to add to Andrew's reply.
>

>> Using Deinterlace creates a dvd.mpg file only marginally larger than
> without deinterlacing.
> But the result is visually better than without deinterlacing, which is
> awful jagged at camera movements zoom/pan, at least on my 2560x1440 res
> monitor using VLC.
>
> I do not understand the above sentence.  Which result is better? with
> deinterlacing or without deinterlacing? So Progressive is better? which
> makes more sense to me in this day and age.  As far as I read on the
> internet, DVDs can be either Progressive or Interlaced.
>

> Leaving it dvd rendering interlaced is worst jagged; selecting
> deinterlaced is better both with default mpeg2enc ("TFF, interlaced") and
> optional FFMpeg (progressive). Some of the jagged edges and lines is
> expected to be caused by the scaled up low vertical SD wide resolution.
> I didn't notice visible +/- chroma difference by selecting "use yuv420p
> dvd deinterlace format"
>
> I will try to compare with DeVeDe's deinterlace YADIF filter and two pass
> rendering.
> (DeVeDe's second FFMPEG deinterlace filter exited the dvd rendering.)
>

> In comparision with Cin rendering, the DeVeDe dual pass with YADIF
> deinterlacing did compress the movie_0.mpg more and it was verified as
> progressive. All progressive dvd video qualities were visual comparable.
>
> du -sh dvd-wide-*/*.mpg dvd-wide-*/*/movie*.mpg
> 598M    dvd-wide-dv01_20230526-225332/dvd.mpg
> 598M    dvd-wide-dv01-ffmpeg_20230527-000911/dvd.mpg
> 380M    dvd-wide-dv01-dualpass-yadif/movies/movie_0.mpg
>
> mediainfo dvd-wide-*/*.mpg dvd-wide-*/*/movie*.mpg | grep Scan
> Scan type                                : Progressive
> Scan type                                : Progressive
> Scan type                                : Progressive
>

> Regarding Dvd Interlaced Chroma:
> Possibly PAL dv 4.2.0 is more pleasant for MPEG-2/DVD 4.2.0 than NTSC dv
> 4:1:1 (?
>

> Add also two references to the latter:
>
> CinCV manual: Notes on mpeg video encoding (mpeg2enc)
> http://cinelerra-cv.wikidot.com/cincv-manual-en:loading-saving#11
>
> Frank's thougt on HDV: Comments on transcoding from DV25 to MPEG-2 for
> [...]

Wow, this one is nearly 300 pages when saved as pdf (yay for firefox mobile
devs for re-including 'save as pdf' in mobile ff too!)

According to this page, some cameras used 1-254 digital levels, as opposed
to 16-235 ...

===

IEC 61966-2-4 standard is based upon the older ITU-R BT.709-5 standard and
encompases a range of colors that is approximately 1.8 times greater than
the older standard, essentially including the full gamut of colors that can
be understood by the human visual system. Instead of 8-bit color
representation being limited to a range of values extending from 16 (black)
to 235 (white), a value range of 1 through 254 is used. Values of 0 and 255
don't carry color information, as they are used for synchronization
purposes. The HDMI 1.3 specification includes support for the IEC 61966-2-4
standard, and Sony now offers HDTVs that can display 61966-2-4 color. The
Sony BDP-S1 BD (Blu-ray Disc) player also supports IEC 61966-2-4 color.

====

so this battle for wider color was already on for quite some time!