[Cin] Plugins in integer or in float

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 23:53:01 CET 2023

> sorry for absence of easy answer ...
You are right: I cannot understand the operation by superficial
reading of the code. Each plugin has all the strings that I thought
could discriminate their operation.
Trying to read the code of histogram.C I found:

CLAMP(output, 0, 1.0);
case BC_RGBA_FLOAT
// uint8 rgb is 8 bit, all others are converted to 16 bit RGB

The first CLAMP might indicate the normalized range (0, 1.0); The
comment seems to indicate that these are integer calculations (8 or 16
bits); etc. Plus in the mailing-list (later reported in the manual) GG
was talking about 8- or 10-bit calculations, not 16-bit.

In short, I don't have the ability to discriminate how plugins work.
I thank you for the explanations and the tests you have pointed out.