[Cin] Lock an asset within the EDL

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Sun Oct 8 12:31:26 CEST 2023

Op 10/4/23 om 19:36 schreef Phyllis Smith:
> I totally "get it" -- basically you want it to work like you expect it
> to work.  Unfortunately, so did the original author! as does everyone
> else!

I wanted to ignore this email because I would agree, that if it would
work for the original author, then it fits his or her needs. Today I am
editing again and from usability perspective try this one;

You have 4 tracks, VAAA. Add some media so you are sure you can see what
happens. In front of it you create 30s of silence.

Go to a new asset. View it. Set in-out points, and copy (not to clip).

Now go to the front of the timeline and paste.

Notice that VAA is moving, but the last audio track does not, hence VAAA
directly becomes out of sync. This also happens when you would drag and
'snap' a clip to the beginning of the time line. But it does not when
you drag a clip in between on silence space.

To me the above behavior shows:
  1. I am either unaware of the option not to have the assets on the
timeline move (see subject on the email)
  2. Or we must agree that this moving behavior for a NON-linear editor
is far from be desired. I would even say, like the labels locking
moving, we must have an option that would always just overwrites.

It is open source, everyone can fix it, bla bla. Without a "developer
manual" every capable C/C++ developer would first have to dig in very
deep in order to comprehend how the UX actually works, let alone how to
change it.

--
Stefan