[Cin] ffmpeg 6.1 probably delayed ?

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 16:38:39 CET 2023

вс, 29 окт. 2023 г., 18:27 Phyllis Smith <phylsmith2017 at gmail.com>:

> Oh wow.  I guess I learned a lesson here -- don't wait for the point 1
> (.1) release.  But still I am a little confused because I always thought
> that the point 1 release was to fix flaws in the main release and not to
> add new features.

I think ffmpeg uses x.x.1 and x.x.2 and so on as stable release .... so
5.0.1 or something will be stable, but without new features ....

also, there is whole idea of LTS (long term support ) - depend on software
it can be year (firefox, lol) to 3 years (blender) to some more years.
FFmpeg tried to switch some releases to LTS model but .... :)

actually, even 2.8 branch still get some fixes as far as I can see

https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/shortlog/refs/heads/release/2.8

but we usually want something a bit newer :)

Not really your fault, it was sort of announced to be in summer, but
slipped away ....