[Cin] Adding soft subtitles to a DVD video

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 19:09:56 CET 2024

There are two things I want to add to my current intermediate DVD mpg
video files created with ffmpeg, and/or to the DVD tree structure
created with DeVeDeNG:

    1. Create and add a Navigation menu in the beginning
    This will be an upcoming, separate topic

    2. Create and add Soft Subtitles as simple text info commentaries to
    the video content
    This is the topic for this post.

The reason that I want *Soft* Subtitles as a separate text file stream
related to timing, is because this should be possible to *add* or import
to an existing video file  without the need to re-encode. It should also
be flexible to display on or off during playback, if I have understood
this correct so far.

2.1 Preferably I want to add/import subtitles as fast and easy using GUI
interactive tools like DeVeDeNG or VLC if possible?
Next thereafter could be using the more time consuming ffmpeg
https://www.baeldung.com/linux/subtitles-ffmpeg#how-to-add-soft-subtitles

2.2 So is the question if learning a special subtitle editor is
necessary to create the text file easier, like one of these 5
https://www.debugpoint.com/3-great-subtitle-editors-in-linux-systems/

Tip, suggestions or experience how to do this?