[Cin] DAR, PAR and SAR, again

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 21:42:33 CET 2024

Den 19.01.2024 17:56, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu via Cin:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 7:54 PM Andrea paz via Cin
> <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>  wrote:
>> I am opening a new post because the previous one, for me, was becoming
>> too confusing.
>>
>> I quote Terje's latest email:

>> Well, I have prioritized more to understand what happends than
>> interprete the somewhat ambiguous definitions.
>> (the order of the factors is indifferent).
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18877243/why-ffmpeg-print-sar-instead-of-par
>>
>> I think of SAR in the FFmpeg output as a correction factor for the
>> recordered picture frame format resolution (Wp), to get the desired
>> output display resolution (expanded Wd with square px) at a given DAR,
>> (or in opposite order).
>>
>> I found a useful table at ffmpeg-user that contains information for
>> practically all SD and HD video formats.
>> Maybe something for the manual?
>> https://www.mail-archive.com/ffmpeg-user@ffmpeg.org/msg27522.html
>>

>>                 display     DAR       picture     PAR      SAR = DAR/PAR
>>               ===========  ====     ===========  ====     =====
>> 16:9-2160:  3840 x 2160  16:9  :  3840 x 2160  16:9  :   1:1
>>    4:3-2160:  2880 x 2160   4:3  :  2880 x 2160   4:3  :   1:1
>> 16:9-1080:  1920 x 1080  16:9  :  1920 x 1080  16:9  :   1:1
>>    4:3-1080:  1440 x 1080   4:3  :  1440 x 1080   4:3  :   1:1
I don't know the video format in the last (fourth) line above; the third
line is FHD
But I think the two HDV formats are forgotten in the table - so I add
them below (?):

    16:9-1080:   1920 X 1080  16:9  :  1440 X 1080  (4:3) :  1:1
     16:9-720:   1280 x 72016:9 : 1280 x 720 (16:9) : 1:1
>>    16:9-576:  1024 x 576   16:9  :   720 x 576    5:4  :  64:45
>>     4:3-576:   768 x 576    4:3  :   720 x 576    5:4  :  16:15
>>    16:9-480:   853 x 480   16:9  :   720 x 480    3:2  :  32:27
>>     4:3-480:   640 x 480    4:3  :   720 x 480    3:2  :   8:9
>> [...]
>>
>> My God, I feel like giving up....
>> The following is my opinion (indeed, my delirium!).
>> The table is wrong (for ffmpeg!) because it uses PAR. As is also
>> stated in the thread you cited:

I guess the user did his best on the list.  From a feedback I saw they
did like the table, but not the long definitions with reference to and
old (abandoned) mpeg standard.

The most important table colums with regards to ffmpeg and CinGG use,
are Picture format, SAR and DAR.

But look at CinGG's Set Format window, if and when user want to define
and control the output format himself:

  * Canvas size: Width and Height is there (the frame format)
  * Display Aspect Ratio is there (DAR)
  * Imo the calculator fields are of no importance(?)

But  where to enter the most important SAR correction factor for
anamorphic format?