[Cin] DAR, PAR and SAR, again

Igor BEGHETTO igorbeg at visi1.org
Mon Jan 22 13:30:31 CET 2024

@Andrew_Randrianasulu wrote:
> May be result depend on (software) player? Terje used VLC, I used
> mplayer/mpv
My Media players on UbuntuStudio_16.04-LTS-64bit are:
- Parole Media Players v0.8.1
- VLC Media Player v2.2.2
- ffplay V2.8.6-1ubuntu2 20160311
All of them read anamorphic video correctly, source and outputs by
Cinelerra-GG's rendering.

@Andrea_paz wrote:
> What I don't understand is that you see correctly on the Compositor.
My source video is 720x576 at 25 DAR=16:9.
When I load it in a new project the Settings-> Format... is: W=720;
H=576 AspectRatio=4/3 Auto=CHECKED.
The image in Compositor is shown wrong. For example, a circle is shown
narrowed horizontally.
Because I know that the video is 16/9, I change the Aspect Ratio to 16:9
(Auto=UNchecked) and the image in the Compositor is shown correctly.
I do the rendering. Using the media players listed above (in reply to
Andrew) and in ffprobe I can see all right.

@Andrea_paz wrote:
> I think that's what Terje is trying in vain to get me to understand:
> all you need is the size of the starting frame, the ending frame, and
> a convesion factor if you need one (the "pixel" or "sample" aspect
> ratio).
If Terje is using different format video in the same project that way is
wrong, I think!
He have to use a plugin (Scale or Scale Rate) or change the size in the
Media folder and using Size tool, there.

IgorBeg