[Cin] How to identify if a running CinGG is the Regular or Multibit version?

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 10:39:29 CEST 2024

I, too, wonder whether einhander binaries are 8-bit or multibit. The
underlying theme is that, normally, video editing involves powerful
hardware and, I think, the majority have it. However, it is also true
that CinGG is suitable for non-powerful hardware and it could be that
the majority of its users have dated hardware. A survey of the PCs
that CinGG users have would be interesting.

One possible idea (not important, surely it is better to leave
everything as it is now) could be to change the current default
(8-bit) to multibit, for example:

CinGG.appimage --> CinGG_8-bit.appimage
CinGG_multibit.appimage --> CinGG.appimage

and the same for the source which should include by default the flag :
-bit-depth=10 (which involves creating a patch for 8-bit and removing
the current patch for multibit).

This makes it clearer that the 8-bit (more limited but also more
efficient) should be used by those who have an older system; otherwise
the multibit version is more complete. I repeat: this is not a major
change and we can very well continue as it is now. In any case I will
put a modification in the manual to explain which configuration best
suits our own hardware.

Note: the 8-bit limitation only affects encoding with 10-bit x265. I
have the following error:

[libx265 @ 0x71dcbc0afac0] Specified pixel format yuv422p10le is not
supported by the libx265 encoder.
[libx265 @ 0x71dcbc0afac0] Supported pixel formats:
[libx265 @ 0x71dcbc0afac0]   yuv420p
[libx265 @ 0x71dcbc0afac0]   yuvj420p
[libx265 @ 0x71dcbc0afac0]   yuv422p
[libx265 @ 0x71dcbc0afac0]   yuvj422p
[libx265 @ 0x71dcbc0afac0]   yuv444p
[libx265 @ 0x71dcbc0afac0]   yuvj444p
[libx265 @ 0x71dcbc0afac0]   gbrp
[libx265 @ 0x71dcbc0afac0]   gray

@Terje
Great link to the cheat sheets you mentioned on the forum. Instead of
making a new document I can put that link on the manual.
https://gist.github.com/dexeonify/ed31c7d85fcf7297719e2ec4740fafda

@Terje
Having an AMD GPU, I have often thought of making a preset for AMF.
However, it requires AMD's closed driver (amdgpu-pro) and also Vulkan.
There are discussions that soon AMF will also work with open amdgpu
(supported in Mesa). In that case I will try to make the preset. For
the Nvidia/Intel cases, I could not test and so I did not try to make
new presets.