[Cin] with-cuda errors

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 23:45:25 CEST 2024

Stefan,
Not sure how useful the Cuda option for HW acceleration is unless you want
to use its plugins.

An authoritative statement about the Cuda HW option from the manual says:

> Cuda does not accelerate decoding with Nvidia, but it does allow some
> plugins to run that are not available otherwise.
>
>From a non-authoritative source, choosing HW acceleration of "vdpau" which
uses Nvidia should provide the same speed-up, just without the access to
additional Cuda plugins.  Another authoritative quote from the manual.

At the time this was written, the use of Cuda is not going to improve the
> playing and rendering of video in CINELERRA-GG except in the case where
> you use a specific Cuda-enabled plugin that is computationally intense –
> sadly, most of what Cin does, Cuda will not help. Cuda is mostly a block
> oriented algorithm which works well for such things as a flock of birds
> all flying next to each other.

Needless to say, I have not compiled with a later Cuda version.  I have
never been quite sure what the benefit of HV 8 cuda inclusion is.