[Cin] vaapi vs appimage, kdenlive way

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Wed May 8 23:38:06 CEST 2024

Andrew,
Unfortunately, the setenv for LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH in main.C used in an
AppImage does not solve the problem of being able to use the Hardware
Vaapi/Vdpau capability of the computer CinGG is executed on.  I am assuming
that this was the goal?  Here is what I tested:

1. Compiled CinGG with the setenv in main.c on AMD computer that had no
graphics hardware/software installed.
2. Verified that on this computer when I changed
Settings/Preferences/Performance hw device to either vaapi or vdpau and
executed the binary, I would get "operation not permitted ... using
software".
3. Created AppImage on same computer.
4. Ran that AppImage on laptop where the hardware/software supports both
vaapi and vdpau.  This failed to allow using either vaapi or vdpau.

So I fail to see any advantage to adding the setenv.  Am I wrong?  What
does it solve, if anything?