[Cin] Shortcuts

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 16:09:24 CET 2020

*Dan:*

> How hard would it be to create a menu for user-editable shortcuts?
> Ardour/mixbus has something like this, and I find it really, really
> convenient.  Would it be possible to adapt their code, or would it require
> huge rewrites?

This is a very much requested feature and a very, very difficult thing to
do.  BUT there is still some hope that it will get done in the far future.
I say there is hope because "scaling" got done and that was hard and a long
time request.  By comparison upgrading Masks was trivial and it took 4
weeks to get it all done. The reason for the difficulty is the original
design of Cinelerra written back in the olden days with slower computers
with less memory.  I think it would be do-able if the current QT
cross-platform framework was used instead but that is another difficult
thing to switch to.  Most users would rather the Videoscope and color
management were improved instead.

It has been proposed to alternatively allow for 1 different shortcut setup
as established by users so at least you could choose one or the other.
However, that would be a nightmare to get 2 or more people to agree on the
alternative setup.  Anyway, it would probably be better to make it flexible
for any shortcut.

*Igor:*

> I think it would be better to assign Ctrl+D shortcut for "Delete last
> track" instead of Ctrl+Shif+D. So, more intuitive, you have Shift+D to
> "Delete First track", and Ctrl+D to "Delete Last track": Shift is the key
> up (then first), and Ctrl is the key down (then last) in the keyboard.

I will see about changing this as you suggested.  It would be better.