[Cin] Youtube channel (@ Rafa Mar)

Rafa Mar Multimedia en Gnu\Linux rafamar.mm.ig at gmail.com
Thu May 21 21:22:47 CEST 2020

Cinelerra is very powerful, but not very intuitive.
There is no way to think about the beginnings to see the problems.
My opinion is that there are mainly three things that scare new users away.
The interface, people nowadays don't like interfaces with different
windows. It doesn't bother me, but I think it would be much easier to
capture new users with a single window interface.
The upload wizard, which mixes the upload of projects with that of
multimedia files. The first times I tried to work with Cinelerra here I was
already very stuck. I think this that I am commenting on now has scared
away more people than the interface of different windows. It is absurd to
try to load a file and put it on the timeline ... nobody expects this
result. In fact I do not see that in other applications this is so. And
what do people do, they spend half an hour fighting with this, they install
another editor that does not believe this early problem and they quickly
forget about Cinelerra, leaving the name of Cinelerra in their subconscious
as something bad, something to avoid.
And the third point, file browsers, are missing a favorites panel, to go
quickly from one folder to another.

Summary.
Gimp today offers the possibility of working with panels or using a single
window. Would it be easy to implement this in Cinelerra? Modern interfaces
are like this, see professional applications or even free ones like Olive,
Kdenlive ... etc ...
Make an assistant for loading projects and another for loading media.
Totally independent, because this is what most people have driven away from
Cinelerra.
Add a panel in the navigation windows that integrates with the system
folders and your favorites, or failing that, a panel where you can put your
favorites.

Of all these points, the one that seems to me that it would be more
important to change urgently so as not to scare new users away is the media

That I think this does not mean that these things should be changed, but I
am convinced that if it were done, or had already been done, Cinelerra
would have many more users. What good is having the best motion tracking
plugin if people get stuck in the media upload wizard? I myself if I had
not seen a video that explained how to upload a file in the Resources
window, I think that today I still would not have succeeded, and it is sad
that such a powerful application has these assistants so illogical and not
imitated by nobody.
Renewed or die.

Regards. I continue with my basic tutorials, because I am still discovering
Cinelerra.