[Cin] actually, added few more formats to theme.C

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 22:04:44 CET 2020

В сообщении от Thursday 12 November 2020 21:41:47 Terje J. Hanssen via Cin написал(а):

> Den 12.11.2020 12:00, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu via Cin:
> > В сообщении от Thursday 12 November 2020 04:00:14 Terje J. Hanssen via Cin написал(а):
> >> Firstly, I'm not a programmer, but as I'm retired and hope to spend some
> >> time forward to learn Cin-GG to edit my hobby recorded and archived SD
> >> and HDV.
> >>
> >> In general, the most user friendly would be if the automatic selected
> >> Preset format fits correctly to each loaded standard video w/audio file
> >> format. For unknown formats, PAL vs NTSC should preferably be choosed
> >> based on the actual time zone (CGG manual page 416, above  Figure 13.1).
> >>
> >> *) User custom verification and selection of presets or video technical
> >> details, assume the user is skilled on the video format in use.

> >> 720p/60 is the only 720p preset available.
> >> *) Each details can be custom selected, although not ideally?
> > Yes, I was reluctant to add ALL variations because they will make list longer.
> > But I can do this.
>
> A sub-menu next for each of the three HDV groups seems to be even
> better, though more complicated(?)

For me, I don't know how to make sub-menus yet :D

> [...]
> >> Frame aspect ratio 16:9 (DAR),  MPEG2 Video compr. (profile & level:
> >> MP at H-14)
> >>
> >>   From the Cin Preset Canvas size I noticed the following proportions can
> >> be derived, in case they tell something .........
> >>    720p: W Ratio/H Ratio=0.8889/0.6667=1.33,  Width/W
> >> Ratio=1280/0.8889=1440,  Height/H Ratio=720/0.6667=1080
> >> 1080i: W Ratio/H Ratio=1.3333/1.0000=1.33,  Width/W
> >> Ratio=1920/1.3333=1440,  Height/H Ratio=1080/1.000=1080

> I'm not sure about all other HD-video formats, but the HDV formats seems
> to be supported HDTV formats (broadcast standards) and supported Blu-ray
> video formats
> 1280x720 (HD-1) HD ready or Standard HD
> 1440x1080 (HD-2) and 1920x1080, (Full HD, FHD)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television#Display_resolutions
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_resolutions#Digital_TV_standards
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video#Common_high-definition_video_modes
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Video
>
> >> In case you have not seen it, the replies to my related mail request on
> >> the old CinCVS mail list might have some more information:
> >> https://www.mail-archive.com/cinelerra@skolelinux.no/msg05573.html
> > Yes, I see
> >
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/cinelerra%40skolelinux.no/msg05582.html
> >
> > this one not very encouraging:
> >
> > ======
> > Note that Cinelerra does two tasks: render and display.
> >
> > To render, Cinelerra treats the 1440:1080 as square pixels. This is not
> > optimal if something you render has both horizontal and vertical extent, but
> > is driven by only one parameter, like the radius of the radial grandient, a
> > radial blur, or the 'feather' radius of the masks. Such things will turn into
> > ellipses because:
> >
> > To display, Cinelerra simply stretches the available pixels to 16:9 ratio.
> >
> > -- Hannes
> > =========
> >
> > this question of you was left w/o answer, at least it was off-thread.
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/cinelerra%40skolelinux.no/msg05586.html
> >
> > ======
> > For captured HDV and SD DV footages it looks like Cinelerra automatically
> > takes care of scaling. What doesn't look quite clear for me yet, is what
> > has to be done in Cinelerra for in cam downconverted HDV to anamorphic DV?
> > =======
> >

> >   I'll use search and try to read code a bit more.
> >
> > I think I found manual on how to mix DV and HDV in same project in Cinelerra, but it was involving manual scaling?
> >
> > http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/anamorphic.html#_how_to_add_16_9_anamorphic_footage_to_your_standard_4_3_project
> >
> > ah, no, it has  no specific mention of HDV in this section, but our problem is indeed those non-square pixels, and how to paint over them ....
>
> I found another, related mail thread (2016):
> [CinCV TNG] Create 16x9 video from 4x3 sources

Thanks, according to this thread same DVD disk may look different on different players/TV/monitors ...
My friend said some of those display devices may have their own  fine controls for scaling (on-screen menu?).

But I only have  this monitor (1440x900 it says IPS LED LG on front and "Manufacturer: GSM  Model: 5b01  Serial#: 5886" in X.log) as my viewing device (I have older CRT monitors, Samsung SyncMaster 550b, but for now I prefer not to unplug vga cable too much - it sometimes loose red and blue signals, so I prefer not to strain it more)

> Terje J. H

[skip]