[Cin] [spam?] Re: Looking into minimal alternative Shortcuts

Georgy Salnikov sge at nmr.nioch.nsc.ru
Mon Sep 7 13:41:43 CEST 2020

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020, Rafa Mar Multimedia en Gnu\Linux via Cin wrote:

> As Igor indicates, I also think that a single option to save would be
> better, it could be like that.
>
> Save         s or Ctrl-s
> > Undo         z or Ctrl-z

I would say, it is quite usual for a complex professional program (not some
kind of Office or web browser which uses everybody, but a program which
performs some rather particular task) - to have its own set of shortcuts.
Such a set of shortcuts may be chosen not from the reasons of similarity to
that of MS-Office or whatever, but from the reasons of conveniency and
effectiveness of working with **this particular program**!

For example, I have to use a program CCPNMR, to do a very complex process of
NMR signals assignment in big organic molecules. The shortcut for 'Save' in
this program is not 's', and not 'Ctrl-s', but surprisingly 'Shift-S'!

To me, what for one must press two keys, Ctrl and 's', or Ctrl and 'z', if
it is possible to press a single key 's' or 'z'? OK, it is not acceptable
for a text processor, where 's' and 'z' means insert the corresponding
letter, but why not for a video or photo editor where one does not input
letters?

I'd say, a possibility to configure different sets of shortcuts could look
beautiful, but definition of shortculs most similar to that used in office
software should not be a goal of highest priority...

Georgy Salnikov
NMR Group
Novosibirsk Institute of Organic Chemistry
Lavrentjeva, 9, 630090 Novosibirsk, Russia
Phone   +7-383-3307864
Email   sge at nmr.nioch.nsc.ru