[Cin] Histogram Plugin add on feature

Good Guy good1.2guy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 22:07:38 CEST 2020

The reason for the different appearance in the histogram displays is that
the
value used in each case is not really the same kind of answer.  A histogram
is a bunch of "bins" (accumulators) that count the number of times a
particular
pixel channel intensity occurs in an image. Dim are on the left, bright on
the right.

The number of bins used depends on the color model bit depth,
histogram: 256 for rgb8 and 65536 for all others.
bezier: 256 for rgb8/yuv8 and 65536 for all others.
scope: always uses 65536

All of the bins are scanned when the graph is plotted.  What is shown
depends
on which plugin is used.
histogram: was max of the bins in the pixel range, now is the sum
bezier: is the max of the bins in the pixel range
scope: is the max of the bins in the pixel range

When the color space and the bin size are the same, all of the values
increment
the indexed bins.  When the color is the result of yuv->rgb conversion, the
results
"spread" if there are more bins than colors.  This is the same effect you
see when
you turn on "smoothing" in the vectorscope histogram.

The "total" pixels for each value is approximately the same, but the "max"
value
depends on the color quantization.  More colors increment more bins.  Fewer
colors increment fewer bins.  In both cases, the image size has the same
number
of pixels.  The fewer color case increments the used bins, and skips the
unused
bins.  This sums all of the pixels into fewer bins, and the bins have
higher values.
That is the "rgb" vs "yuv" case, fewer vs more bins are used.

To report something more consistent, I have changed the reported value to
the
"sum" of the accumulated counts for the bins reporting a pixel bar on the
graph.
The effect of this is to do this:

   1
   1                      1
000100 3 pixels   vs   0011000  3 pixels

On the left, the course color model piles all 3 pixels into one bin.  max
value 3
On the right, the fine color model puts the counts into 2 bins, max 2, sum 3

So, by reporting the sum the shape of the results are more similar.

gg