[Cin] A few questions about cinelerra-gg

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Tue Apr 13 21:50:38 CEST 2021

On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 9:18:27 PM CEST, mnieuw--- via Cin wrote:
> For creating animations, would one not use something like
> StopMotion or QstopMotion, and just import the created
> images into Cinelerra? What are multiple layers for then? Or do
> I misunderstand?

In case of "old school" animation working with cells (transparent film) one
could have multiple cells stacked upon eachother, typically having a bigger
background moving at a different speed to create a parallax effect. Each
layer masks out the other one. The most simple animation would have a
background and a foreground where the character is drawn.

>> But what Cinelerra does not really expose is the technical aspects for
>> example one, two's, in betweens. I think you would visually want to
>> see
>> those aspects as well, similar to metadata within the compositor.
>
> I am not familiar with animations, other than Michael Hickox on
> YouTube, what are the technical aspects you refer to?

Things about ones, and twos... (marking for example that it is the same
image duplicated)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_MDprx3tOU>

What scene are we in. Just basic stuff that you would want to have on any
serious production, including timecodes.

--
Stefan