[Cin] Is SD and HD 422 Video Capture obtainable with V4L(2)?

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 20:08:38 CET 2021

On Thursday, December 16, 2021, Terje J. Hanssen via Cin <
cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:

> With reference to Adam Wilt:
> https://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-editing.html#transcoding
>
>> I-frame-only MPEG-2 is said to be comparable to DV format compression at
>> the same bit rate. Thus 25 megabit MPEG-2 should yield results (and
>> transcoding errors) similar to DV, and 50 Megabit MPEG-2 should be
>> comparable to DV50.
>>
>> MPEG-2 at 25 Megabits should be roughly comparable to DV, though its
>> 4:2:2 color sampling may be more beneficial for graphics. Are 25 Mbps
>> MPEG-2's benefits worth the transcoding hit coming from DV? It's arguable:
>> I've been comparing DV25 and MPEG-2 25Mbit, and can't say I see a huge
>> difference one way or the other. Both have their artifacts, and their
>> tradeoffs.
>>
>> DV50 or MPEG-2 at 50 Megabits will be clearly superior in quality to DV,
>> albeit at twice the data rate (think about the disk space and disk speed
>> necessary). Indeed, if you're originating on DV50 (D-9, DVCPRO50) there's
>> no reason to go with anything other than a DV50 NLE, using SDTI in place of
>> 1394 for the transfer. The only way up from DV50, practically speaking, is
>> to to go totally uncompressed -- and nowadays, that's increasingly viable,
>> what with fast disks and inexpensive arrays.
>>
> ====================
>
> As I already pointed on in another thread, a solution to capture Hi8 to SD
> DV50 in 4:2:2 format was possible already 10 years ago
> https://lists.cinelerra-gg.org/pipermail/cin/2021-December/004308.html
>
> In a more recent thread here, Andrew mentioned a hdmi capture card (with
> v4l2)
> https://www.mail-archive.com/cin@lists.cinelerra-gg.org/msg02865.html
> ===================
>
> Therefore I wonder if we, CinGG users and devs, are able to setup and test
> a recommended capture solution (w/card and guide) for SD and HD video in
> 4:2:2 colorspace, preferably using free drivers and tools like V4L/V4L2 and
> FFMpeg?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video4Linux
> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/V4L_capturing

I think I personally will be away from my desktop machine for few more
months..

Terje, you already subscribed to ffmpeg-users, may be forward your call for
testing to this list too?

I was think about one specific Youtuber
https://www.youtube.com/user/renerebe

he does have quite a bit of exotic/non-x86 hw, so may be he will be able to
get capture card(s) we talked about and even compile Cin on some non-x86
devices and/or test our BD output on Playstation 3 :-)