[Cin] 2 little issue

Walter Casanova wcasanova at disroot.org
Mon Feb 1 19:47:08 CET 2021

El lunes, 1 de febrero de 2021 13:37:37 -03 Rafa Mar Multimedia en Gnu\Linux
via Cin escribió:
> I asked the person who made this button and he told me that this "error"
> only indicates that we have opened firefox from the Cinelerra shell,
> because the application is closed, and that when closing it, it warns us
> that we will no longer receive messages of this application.
>
> The good thing about using xdg-open is that this command frees the shell
> without human interaction, in fact if you open firefox from this call
> button and close Cinelerra, firefox will remain open.
>
> He told me that if in a terminal we execute the command:
> xdg-open http://www.cinelerra-gg.org
> With the browser closed, this will open it, open the indicated page and the
> terminal will be free to execute other commands. The same will happen with
> Cinelerra. But the "system" option that is used to launch this option with
> this line warns that the process will no longer show messages, because it
> has been launched from cinelerra and cinelerra will remain open and firefox
> has closed.
>
> I also asked him why this did not happen in other calls that do use
> $CIN_BROWSER and he replied that in order to answer this question I should
> study the Cinelerra code in depth and that now I did not have time for this
> task.
>
> He also told me that his solution is generic in C and that it will work
> without creating any problems for Cinelerra, but that if those responsible
> do not like it, it is best not to use it. In these cases, it is best to
> find another person, with more time, to provide a more satisfactory
> solution for those responsible.
>
> El lun, 1 feb 2021 a las 16:10, Phyllis Smith via Cin (<
>
> cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>) escribió:
> > Andrea, I also started getting this error message after installing the
> > patch to use xdg-open instead of $CIN_BROWSER in the Batch Render menu
> > which was hanging after using the help button if the browser was not
> > already up.  I may have to back this out.  If you already have started
> > Firefox or your usual browser in the usual way, it seems to be good.
> > Further study is probably needed.
> >
> > ###!!! [Parent][RunMessage] Error: Channel closing: too late to send/recv,
> >
> >> messages will be lost
> >
> > Starting CinGG from the terminal I often see this string (not always):
> >> ###!!! [Parent][RunMessage] Error: Channel closing: too late to
> >> send/recv, messages will be lost
> >
> > --

IMHO I prefer to use environment variables as it was before $ CIN_BROWSER,
since xdg-open, it opens the default browser, but and if I don't want it to
open the default browser, whatever the reason, it seems more configurable like
this now .

--
- | Walter Casanova | -
- | Gnu / Linux - SysAdmin | -