[Cin] Cannot render above 60FPS

Pierre autourduglobe p.autourduglobe at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 20:59:21 CEST 2021

I don't know of any commercial cinema or television network that shows
productions at more than 60 frames per second.

Yes, I have worked in the past with cameras that could run up to 2000
frames per second and nowadays I imagine there are cameras that can run
even faster than that. But those blazing fast speeds were always
intended to create slow motion in a normal broadcast at 24 (cinema) or
29.97 (NTSC television) frames per second.

I suppose it's possible that those working in special effects or
animation may eventually want to maintain a high frame rate throughout
their production process.

Likewise, it is possible that the scientific community or museums and
other special facilities that present non-standard video works may
decide to use much higher frame rates than those used in film or television.

A sector that was developing a lot before COVID... was the video game
competitions in front of large audiences, in big auditoriums equipped
with giant screens. Can we imagine that they will eventually want to
broadcast image montages at the same high speed as those of the games in
competition?

I think having the ability to render at high bitrates is a good thing
for Cinelerra-GG. But renders that deviate from the usual broadcast
possibilities should be clearly marked or classified.

Pierre