[Cin] Formats and Codecs in CinGG

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 03:28:24 CET 2021

On Sunday, November 21, 2021, Terje J. Hanssen via Cin <
cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:

> Den 20.11.2021 09:40, skrev Andrea paz:
>
>> By adding extra codecs after the official distro installation:
>>> ffmpeg -v quiet -codecs | grep aac
>>>    DEAIL. aac                  AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) (decoders: aac
>>> aac_fixed libfdk_aac ) (encoders: aac libfdk_aac )
>>>    D.AIL. aac_latm             AAC LATM (Advanced Audio Coding LATM
>>> syntax)
>>>
>> Good to know! So if ffmpeg present in CinGG supports AAC, just make
>> presets to be able to use them.
>>

> Yes, I think so. The output above was from my openSUSE system's ffmpeg
> after adding multimedia codecs and enabled applications following the
> unofficial guide:
> https://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php
>
> Where did you see the latter preset? (I think it is DV SD on Blu-ray).
>>>
>> Sorry for my ignorance on Blu Ray and DV/HDV. The presets I found are
>> in the attached bluray-DV.jpg image.
>> Instead, the presets of Andrew that you have indicated, are perhaps
>> those in the image bluray-HDV.jpg?
>>

> Yes, FHD, HDV and SD DV are identified here by their standard pixel
> resolution, frame rate and interlaced or progressive video.
> ref:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Video
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_aspect_ratio#Pixel_aspec
> t_ratios_of_common_video_formats
>
> I can't find any HDV or similar.
>>

> Compare also with Settings>Format window's Presets up to the left (where
> HDV and DV are listed for the Import video)
>
> Do you only use "Create BD" or "Create DVD" to make a BD/DVD, and not
>> the presets found in the rendering window? [FFMPEG --> mt2s -->
>> "wrench" --> bluray_dv_pal(ntsc).mt2s]
>> What is the purpose of the latter?

I think format presets used by bluray/dvd gui internally..

> I think I have tested both methods, mostly in 2016/201, and just a few
> later.  (Beside I have digitized several analog S-video to DV video files
> and recorded them to BD-R data discs as backup. I have at least 20-30 of
> each Hi8 and HDV tapes left).
>
> I could not find manual documentation for the presets. So possibly Andrew
> with better knowledge may step in here and explain better?

https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/How_Create_FFmpeg_Options_F.html

basically I just started with

muxer codec

pair in new  options file, and then played with parameters..

> I will just add that It possible to render various .m2ts files, test
> mediainfo and playback using a media player like VLC.

Note: vlc or other software player may tolerate streams hw player will
choke on..

As known a Blu-ray player device need a standard Blu-ray disc directory
> structure (bdwrite) for playback, i.e
>
> tree -h bd_20161216-153642
>
> bd_20161216-153642
> ├── [183M]  bd.m2ts
> ├── [ 394]  bd.sh
> ├── [191M]  bd.udfs
> ├── [5.3K]  bd.xml
> └── [4.0K]  udfs
>
> 1 directory, 4 files
>

> While DVD use MPEG-2, I cannot see MPEG-2 with high bitrate for SD DV (or
> HDV) on Blu-ray is possible?

well, you can try to create mpeg2 m2ts profile and temporarily replace
usual h264-based ones.. if this experiment resulted in working BD disk - we
probably can add checkbox or menu selecting specific codec. Just bitrate
for mpeg2 must be much higher for same quality at given resolution (saw 40
mbit/s fullhd file) , and blu-ray has  hard limit on bitrates it can handle
(from memory: around 25 mbit/s) ..