[Cin] offtopic: Digitize and record Audio via Line-In Jack or via USB adapter?

mnieuw at zap.a2000.nl mnieuw at zap.a2000.nl
Fri Sep 24 13:58:46 CEST 2021

The Realtec ALC892 audi chip used on your (and may other) motherboards
have for input two stereo A/D converters, which can do
16/20/24-bit, and 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rates.
Because the analog front end is specified as 90 dB(A), and 16 bits
in itself is 96 dB, there is little point in using more than 16 bits, unless it needs to be mixed with 20 or 24 bit signals.
The highest sample rates usually cause a loss in precision, and
bandtwith is limited to 22 kHz mostly (I think motherboard determines
that).

How this compares to external USB sound cards I don't know, have not
looked at measurements. The Behringer UCA202 I once measured, and S/N
was 70 dB. Which was way below the noise from the cassettes I
digitized, so prefect for this.

MatN