[Cin] Feature discussion for linear editing

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 02:44:30 CET 2022

Hopefully, "real" users will reply, but here is my take.

Recently I found a very nice introduction on linear editing for multi-cam.
> I finally understood how it should work in Cinelerra GG. But it is not
> intuitive, I would like to propose two things that could make multi-cam
> editing much more user friendly.
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOMKP4Jgzw8>
>

> 1. As you can see from the video, multi-cam works by clicking on a Mixer.
> Completely counter intuitive towards anyone that works with a switcher
> (atem and likes) it adds video from the undecided point up to the current
> position when clicked on the mixer. This would be a feature request that I
> wonder why nobody asked for this: implement this in the opposite way. You
> click on a mixer A, then the timeline gets filled with that mixer
> (visible,
> or underwater). If you click on mixer B, the timeline is computed with the
> part 0 to timeline current position with Mixer A, and having Mixer B as
> start position.

It was probably programmed the way it is, because its usage was where you
had multiple video recordings from different angles at the same time and
the user wanted to pick the best one at that particular place.  Like when
recording a band playing with 3 cameras placed at different spots in the
venue.  Possibly your suggestion could be an alternative methodology but as
for "If you click on mixer B, the timeline is computed with the part 0 to
timeline current position with Mixer A", it might be very difficult to keep
track of each tracks "part 0" as it changes to "part next start".

> 2. Now you have set up your rough cut. What you would actually want is the
> ability to fine tune. I would like to have a drag handle functionality
> that
> would be able to modify the cut position. It should be able to move to
> left
> or right. The limits of this operation are bound by the source videos. One
> can move to the left beyond the left video, but only up to the point that
> the right video has data. The same goes for the move towards right. At
> this
> moment you can never get this right with trimming or extending, especially
> not when there is an audio track to match it below. Hence I think this
> function would benefit every editor. (feature-mouse.png)

Maybe I do not understand, but there is a drag handle (in Cut and Paste
editing mode) for fine tuning and it can be cut/moved from left or right.
I tried to demonstrate this in:
   https://streamable.com/zfeuka
The one thing missing per your suggestion though is for it to not go past
where there is data.  You should be able to use the drag handle to get
exactly where you want to be by watching the Compositor window and then
when you stop dragging, all of the small mixer windows update to that exact
point.