[Cin] blds/bld_prepare.sh update

Miroslav Rovis miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Wed Jun 29 21:32:15 CEST 2022

There's also a reference for Anreas paz below.

On 220628-19:58-0600, Phyllis Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 2:54 PM Miroslav Rovis via Cin <
> cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure this is out of time for a reply, but the topic is this one.
> >
> It is never out of time to have updated information and is much appreciated.
Cinelerra community's work is even more appreciated here. I really enjoy
Cinelerra ever more. Great program by a great team!

> > The bld_prepare.sh file is just as mnieuw attached it, plus some small
> > additions for arch distro.
> >
> > Installing Cinelerra from git yesterday on my Debian machine, and I'm
> > running Debian Testing, when following:
> > https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/single_user_build.html
> >
> > I get this at this step:
> >
> > # ./blds/bld_prepare.sh
> > Reading package lists...
> > Building dependency tree...
> > Reading state information...
> > Package python is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> > This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> > is only available from another source
> > However the following packages replace it:
> >   2to3 python-is-python3 python2-minimal python2 dh-python
> >
> > E: Unable to locate package libdc1394-22-dev
> > E: Package 'python' has no installation candidate
> >
> > The solution for me was to edit the file, and the file that worked for me
> > (I also changed the Ubuntu lines, as probably there is no python package in
> > Ubuntu either, at least not in Ubuntu based on Debian Testing):
> >
> > pls find the attached:
> > bld_prepare.sh
> > that worked for me:
> >
> > The lines than changed concern only those packages as reported
> > unavailable, not located by apt, above.
> >
> > So that these updates do not got lost for future versions of ubuntu and
> debian, I have checked into GIT blds/bld_prepare.sh with options for
> "debian-testing" and "ubuntu-testing" which when new Operating Systems
> releases come up, the script can be updated to reflect version XX of
> ubuntu/debian.

I've pulled and seen your above said changes.

If anybody checked the plain debian as first argument to bld_prepare.sh, and
that it works fine, then these changes are not yet in Debian stable (which I
believe is Bullseye since a few months ago IIRC).

But these changes, if they're not in Debian stable already, are very likely
coming to Bullseye the Debian stable. The time schedule of it, and the possible
but rare backtracking, is also stuff that only expert packagers get to be
familiar with, and I'm not one.

Slightly related, and as I'm not expert in the field I'm hesitant to start the topic:

It's not the Debian way to run make on a source as root, but as normal user.

I still have in my .bash_history the commands (and some logs) how I built my
Cinelerra, and ran only 'bld_prepare.sh' and later 'make install' as root, or
was it the equivalent: sudo -s <bld_prepare.sh/make install>.

All the other commands, the Debian way, is run them as user. E.g. it's a bad
idea to git clone as root.

The thing is, on Gentoo, which I don't run and don't have since several years
now, the packages are built and installed as root, that's fine. And probably on
some of the  other distros too, just not on any Debian based distro.

On no distro is it a good idea to git clone as root, I believe, and a newbie
reader would go it all as root when she or he reads:
https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/single_user_build.html

Unfortunately I don't have enough time, else I would very gladly install all
the texinfo and try and send a patch for the texinfo source of the
documentaion.

At this point in the email, I added Andrea to recipients of this mail now, as I
think I remember he works that source, but guys forgive me if I misremember.

So if I'm correct, Anrdea, should that part of the manual be rewritten?

And, since I don't have time to work the source now and send patches, are you
interested that I write how I built and installed it, which would be a good
Debian way to build and install from source? In a separate topic?

Wish I had more time, because it's such a great program and team!

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia