[Cin] blds/bld_prepare.sh update

Miroslav Rovis miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Thu Jun 30 17:48:07 CEST 2022

On 220630-16:29+0200, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> On 220630-13:31+0200, Andrea paz via Cin wrote:
[...]
> > PS: (@Miroslav) I am interested in your steps to build in Debian
> > (given my inadequate knowledge in compiling); can you explain them to
> > me?
> I will. And I think I will not use a separate topic for it, it is sufficiently
> related to this thread.
>
> I'll do it next.
>
> Just one thing. I believe mnieuw is right (interpolating the citation from his
> email):
> > I get or never built it as root, just as an ordinary user.
> >
> > The only time you need it (as sudo) is to install it system-wide.
>
> And so what I previously wrote, that I something like "sudo -s make install"
> after I ran "make" on the source, that wasn't necessary either. I should've run
> it as ordinary user as well.

This is how I do it. I open:
https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/single_user_build.html
(I updated it in the following paste with your change on the line from you new .tex file)
And I follow. Will add citation mark to the pasted HTML text, so to distinguish my notes:

> You need at least 6 GB of disk storage to operate a build + you need to have
> “git” installed.
2.9G    <where-i-buil-it>/Cin/cinelerra5/
> You do not need to be root (or sudo ...) to install, except to run
> bld_prepare.sh which calls in the distro's package manager. However if there
> are problems with permissions you can try to compile as root.
> The git step has to download many files (approx 130 MB) so allow time.
442M    <where-i-git-cloned-it>/cinelerra5/ (but I might not have used the
        option --depth 1)

> Run the following commands (this takes awhile):
> # This is where you need the 6GB of disk space
2.9G in my case (as above)
> cd /<build_path>/
> git clone --depth 1 "git://git.cinelerra-gg.org/goodguy/cinelerra.git" cinelerra5
I might not have used the option --depth 1, I don't remember the first time I
cloned, and afterwards I've always only pulled. So, this line in my case goes:

git pull (since git knows where to pull from, i.e. from where it cloned the
        first time)

And here we go. The point of my mails
> # Toplevel directory:
> cd cinelerra5/cinelerra-5.1

Only the following must be run "sudo -s " (on Debian and Debian-based systems, and very probably on most other if not all distros):
> ./blds/bld_prepare.sh <os>
sudo -s ./blds/bld_prepare.sh debian (because that installs all the
        dependencies, libraries and other, into the system, as now your changed line
        reads)

And all the following as regular user:
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --with-single-user
> make 2>&1 | tee log
> make install
Actually I made it wrong and ran sudo -s make install. Will not anymore.

Regarding the desktop icons, which you asked about, I don't install them and I
don't use them, can't tell.

That's it!

Regards!

--