[Cin] Suggestion: improve setting for VP9 webm

Miroslav Rovis miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Tue Sep 27 11:23:31 CEST 2022

A note before some reply. I am both slow and busy.

I also have the interesting and certainly useful email by Georgy
to work by, but the above applies.

Also (and that's why I've added Andrea), the samples (Andrea's and also the
shaker that Georgy sent, because after say 1 year, try and find it searching
emails within very short time! Not easy, unless you're the author and know
exactly what you searching.) *should* be downloadable from a directory
somewhere in https://www.cinelerra-gg.org/ and testing at least somewhat
standardized, so anybody can reproduce it.

Got to go now. Need more time. (but there is one more line or
two of mine below).

On 220926-14:14-0600, Phyllis Smith wrote:
> Miroslav,
> Your ivp9 webm improvements/simplifications look good to me.  After running
> some tests, I have checked into GIT a new vp9.webm with only the 3 lines of
> b=0, crf=31, row-mt=1.  From Andrea's tests, it seems like the other option
> lines are maybe not needed.  I ran with and without them and I only saw a
> small size difference in the resulting file and could not visually see any
> difference.  As far as speed goes, I just got varying results and for me it
> is slow like Andrea report and since I only do testing, I have the need for
> speed.
>
> Also, I made the default for new configurations/users to be "vp9.webm"
> instead of "webm.webm".
>
> (Plus deleted old library versions of libvpx 1.11.0 and libaom 3.2.0 and
> their associated patches.)
Because the FFmpeg folks are mostly experts and the current
(updated not much longer than just a few months ago) VP9 Wiki
wouldn't be there as it is if it weren't correct. I myself only
tried to follow it.

I read all the above, and I wish to git pull the updated source,
to see for myself.

When time permits.