[Cin] Again on plugins in floating point (HDR)

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 13:16:56 CET 2023

вс, 3 дек. 2023 г., 11:41 Igor BEGHETTO via Cin <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org
>:

> Sorry, I didn't have time to test anything and I don't know if I can see
> something on my screen because it is set/calibrated to sRGB only.
> I think the question could be,... would the changes for clipping in the
> plugins'code would be compatible with our old projects?

Well, I think it willbe hard to answer this without actual testing? I guess
old projects ( I hope those changes only affect rgb(a) float projects) were
build around this limitation in some way - because visual result of
clipping is pure white area - something you hardly can miss. Now, more
complex layer modes definitely should be affected - but not sure yet how
normalization happened on video encode (where encoder  await 8-10 bit per
channel integer data).

So, only testing might tell ....

But in general current situation is not pretty, input information can be
lost irreversibly (even if only for exr/tiff) and internal calculations
easily can go into "everything is unrecoverably white" territory ... {sure,
you can just undo all effects, no input media is affected, but this is IMO
bad surprize for anyone who come to cin-gg especially for floating-point
workflow. I guess it was just  simplest/most speedy solution, that can be
done at each pixel individually, instead of de/re-normalizing whole array,
too bad it was discovered that late ....}

I think there is possibility to creatively use even this - but I think we
at very least should provide patches and big enough warning in project
section of manual.

IgorBeg