[Cin] Updated x265 snapshot from another thread

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 01:56:19 CET 2023

Andrea, I appreciate the additional testing and results you provided since
it is a key library.  Some commentary below.

>> Test renderings, using x265, work fine, except using the 10-bit and
>> 12-bit presets fail indicating that those pixel formats are not
>> supported by x265 encoder.
>> Using the multibit appimage (without the new patch), the 12- and
>> 10-bit renderings work, but the vaapi preset does not.
>>
> To get 10-bit and 12-bit you have to apply
./thirdparty/compile_multibit_x265.txt and move the 3 patch files WITH the
new names (i.e. instead of 3.5, the 17122023)  to subdirectory
./thirdparty/src and then do a build.  BUT I have not checked to see if the
line numbers are still valid in the patchsets.  I will try that late today
or else tomorrow.

Probably the vaapi preset does not work because I created the appimage on a
laptop with an out of date vaapi.

>> I wonder if the separation between multibit and non-multibit versions
>> is still necessary.
>>

> well, I thought multilib build was slower, not at rendering but at build
> itself ? It up to Phyllis to decide ....
>
> I will test this again, but I do some many builds in a single day, it just
slows me down a lot and my laptop sometimes overheats too.