[Cin] Cin Digest, Vol 51, Issue 40

Richard Nolde richard.nolde at centurylink.net
Sun Jan 22 20:06:02 CET 2023

Regarding memory leaks:
>     1. Re:  Complete system hangs (likely out of memory)
>        (Stefan de Konink)
>     2. Re:  Complete system hangs (likely out of memory)
>        (Stefan de Konink)
>     3. Re:  Complete system hangs (likely out of memory)
>        (Andrew Randrianasulu)
The following tool has been instrumental in finding memory leaks and/or
peaks of usage in a large graphically intensive program that I have
helped another developer with from time to time.

https://apps.kde.org/heaptrack/
https://github.com/KDE/heaptrack

It comes with text and GUI analyzer tools to allow you to see which
functions allocate/release/leak memory during the run of a program and
it does not slow down the execution nearly as much as valgrind. It uses
a replacement version of malloc and the LD_PRELOAD option to redirect
system calls into its own instrumented versions of memory related system
calls.  Originally written by Millan Wolff in Berlin, it has now become
a part of the KDE development environment but it does not require you to
run a full KDE desktop. I run in with XFCE on Fedora 36 without any
problems.

Richard Nolde