[Cin] KODI vs HDR

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 02:20:28 CEST 2023

сб, 3 июн. 2023 г., 03:04 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com>:

> https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=371952&page=2
>
> ====
>
> * <https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=371952&pid=3139871#pid3139871>*
>   2023-02-12, 07:24
> Is our goal to get HDR passthrough to work to an HDR capable display, or
> to just get HDR videos to display without being washed out? If it's the
> latter, turn on tone mapping
> <https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback#:~:text=would%20disturb%20AR%29.-,Tone%20mapping,-The%20algorithm%20method> in
> the video settings for the HDR video. Kodi 20 has a few different tone
> mapping options. Hable is pretty good.
>
> If you want HDR passthrough, you'll need to use the GBM backend of Kodi
> with GLES. The GL backend does not have the code to turn on HDR
> passthrough, only GLES does. The Xorg and Wayland backends do not support
> HDR passthrough. Xorg has no HDR support, and Wayland's is in progress and
> incomplete (I'm not talking about Kodi, I'm talking about in general.)
>
> To get the GLES backend for kodi GBM, you'll have to compile it yourself
> <https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/Nexus/docs/README.Ubuntu.md> as the
> PPA version uses the GL backend. You will have to compile it with
> the -DGBM_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles option. Then you'll have to run Kodi from a
> regular text tty, and not X11. Switch to a tty with ctrl-alt-F2, log in,
> and run kodi --windowing=gbm.
>
> ====
>
> I looked at Arch package and it uses gl, not gles!

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=kodi-git

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kodi-git

In theory, you can download this folder ("download snapshot"  link in web
gui), unpack it, edit PKGBUILD for gles render system, add -gles to pkg
name (so it will  not be confused with regular kodi), and run makepkg from
inside this directory!

https://itsfoss.com/create-pkgbuild/