[Cin] HDV 1080i to DVD 16x9 with MP2 audio

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 18:30:40 CET 2024

Den 29.01.2024 17:05, skrev Phyllis Smith:
> More feedback below.
>> I think the procedure here is somewhat tricky and a bit confusing.
>> Therefor I suggest some clarifications in the GUI and a manual example.
> Good suggestions.  I am going to create a subdirectory on the website
> to include additional examples, video, and screenshots rather than
> putting so much detailed stuff in the manual.

Yeah, that's good.  Together with youtube video's, this will be good
training stuff :)

>>     It is possible to Create DVD both with - and without "Use FFmpeg"
>>     checked.
>
> Once you check "Use FFmpeg" even though it allows you to change the
> Audio format, it errors out later with "virtual int
> FileSndFile::open_file(int,int); ... Error:minor format is 0".  Not
> sure why.

I've seen that before. But now it works using Einhander's latest rpm on
Leap: built: Jan 28 2024 04:01:19
The only thing it reports error on, is my last mentioned missing
"dvd.mpg".... Terminal output below:

    Render::render_single: Session finished.
    Render::render_single: Session finished.
    ** rendered 10452 frames in 174.322 secs, 59.958 fps
    running
    /home/terje/Videoklipp/M2T-MOV/dvd_16x9_ffmpeg_hdv_20240129-174118/dvd.sh
        INFO: [mplex] mplex version 2.0.0 (2.2.7 $Date: 2010/03/13
    13:05:07 $)
    **ERROR: [mplex] Unable to open file
    /home/terje/Videoklipp/M2T-MOV/dvd_16x9_ffmpeg_hdv_20240129-174118/dvd.ac3
    for reading.
    DVDAuthor::dvdauthor, version 0.7.2.
    Build options: gnugetopt imagemagick iconv freetype fribidi
    Send bug reports to <dvdauthor-users at lists.sourceforge.net>

    INFO: default video format is PAL
    INFO: dvdauthor creating VTS
    STAT: Picking VTS 01

    STAT: Processing
    /home/terje/Videoklipp/M2T-MOV/dvd_16x9_ffmpeg_hdv_20240129-174118/dvd.mpg...
    ERR:  2 opening input video file
    "/home/terje/Videoklipp/M2T-MOV/dvd_16x9_ffmpeg_hdv_20240129-174118/dvd.mpg"
    -- No such file or directory
    To burn dvd, load blank media and run:
    growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video
    /home/terje/Videoklipp/M2T-MOV/dvd_16x9_ffmpeg_hdv_20240129-174118/iso
    Terminert

>>     On the batch render window: Enable the audiotrack,
>>     select File format MPEG Audio: then the audio file becomes dvd.mp3
>>
>>     Even then changing the wrench from default Layer III to Layer II
>>     it keeps dvd.mp3
>
> This works the same way as Using LPCM for DVD -- that is, once you
> switch from AC3 to Raw PCM, or in this case to MPEG Audio and Layer
> II, the Output File extension in the upper left hand corner is
> "highlighted" thus drawing your attention to modifying itto be mp2
> instead.
Ok, it is possible to just edit it there by hand

>      This is confusing because only MP2 (Audio Layer II) is supported
>     on DVD-video
>
> Even though only MP2 is supported on DVD-video, MP3 works also on my
> LG and Samsung!
I have old A-one player labeled among others "MP3", a Toshiba labeled
"DivX" and the Samsung BD player with "MKV" among supported playback
formats..
But those are optional formats different players may support or not, and
not part of the DVD-Video or BD-Video standards. Therefore I think it is
most important to  prioritize the mandatory standard formats, possibly
with notice warning if trying to go beyond the mandatory formats for
DVD-Video or BD-Video, when the purpose is to be most sure the medium
will play in other players. (and beside, some "industry protection wars"
between PAL and NTSC lands, LPCM and Dolby etc)

>     Many/most people know what "MP3 music" is,  but don't know what
>     MPEG-1 Audio Layer III
>
> I agree, that Layer II or Layer III rather than MP2 and MP3 is unknown
> these days, if you look at  the last previous email for HDV is really
> 4 channel?,  it uses the Layer II terminology all over the place!

>>     IMO it would be more visible and understandable if the default
>>     MPEG Audio file name had been
>>     dvd.mp2 for DVD video rendering.
>
> See above, it highlights the extension to draw your eye to change it.
>

>>     Another suggestion is to differ between application format like
>>     DVD-Video and BD-Video vs Data Disks (for MP3)
>>     and differ between applications mandatory formats on optional
>>     formats that may or may not work.
>>
>     I don't know why, but this way to render DVD with CinGG, creates
>     only 6 items in the DVD structure, missing the muxed dvd.mpg file
>     (that is dvd.m2v+dvd.mp3).
>

> Yes, you will have to edit dvd.sh to change ac3 extension to mp3 (file
> written as mp3 if you do not change it, but really mp2).  Do not add
> -L 48000:2:16 as is not needed. And then execute dvd.sh after like for
> lpcm.

Refer to the CinGG output above