[Cin] OT: video about old usb 1.1 capture device

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Thu May 23 22:08:18 CEST 2024

Den 23.05.2024 17:03, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu via Cin:
> Under old windows, too .. but as top comment says, quality is quite
> surprizing, considering all limitations.
>
> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4U32Hl4uSBs
> "USB video capture in 2002: Dazzle DCS 200"
>
> mpeg2 SD video (NTSC/PAL), at around 6 Mbits/s
>
> ofcourse capturing raw/lossless is superior ... if you have hd space.
> But I guess analog/noise filtering part in those old parts was main
> feature and not afterthought like on some more modern devices {echoing
> from comments}

Variable Bitrate around 6-6.5 Mbits/s  is what I get today without
setting bitrate for ffmpeg when converting SD DV format to DVD MPG (mpeg2).

Beside some analog editing devices also I had (have) a couple of legacy
gpu and video capture cards for Windows PCs:
Matrox Mystique + Rainbow Runner Video (mpeg1)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrox_Mystique

and next Pinnacle DV500 DVD (mpeg2)
https://www.aboutvideoediting.com/hardware/Pinnacle-DV500-DVD.shtml